Top 10 Shabby Chic Home Decor Ideas Using Upcycled Materials!
Posted by Client Care on Wednesday, October 23rd, 2013 at 2:00pm.
The craze of shabby chic lives on as more and more people, including world famous interior designers and your average everyday stay at home mom, are turning lost secondhand treasures into totally amazing one of a kind home design elements. Whether you have an old set of drawers that is in need of a refinish or you go out to your local thrift store, the sky’s the limit when it comes to home design with repurposed items. Below are some of my favorite ideas and a few links where you can find out more information on how to replicate these ingenious ideas.
1. DIY Upholstered Ottoman - The website I found this on, Not So Newlywed McGee’s, shows you step by step on how to create this simple and totally chic ottoman. Use their template and custom design one that fits your home’s decor perfectly.
2. Using Stain to Make Artwork - I found this amazing piece of custom furniture on a site called Sawdust and Embryos. Click their link to see exactly how they rescued a burnt buffet from the trash dump and transformed it into this amazing stained piece of artwork!
3. How to Paint a Mirror - Being Brook has a wonderful tutorial that takes you through an entryway, which features a painted plastic mirror. If you have ever shopped for a large mirror before, you know they can be pretty expensive. What a great way to turn any old grandma mirror into a chic statement piece!
4. Pallet Wall for Free - Mandy Jean Chic got it right when she came up with this incredibly cool idea! See how she refinished a bathroom wall using rustic wood from broken down palettes to achieve a whimsical boardwalk beach feel!
5. License Plate Coffee Table - I found this picture on a Portuguese website called Coisinhaus Outras and think this would go so well on a variety of different tabletop surfaces. After translating the page, go about two-thirds the way down and you'll find the picture. Although there are no “how to” directions on this site, I am pretty sure it would be fairly simple to figure out!
6. Wine Bottle Lamp - Lana Red Studio has a fantastic tutorial that shows how to change any wine bottle or glass bottle into a free standing lamp. Think of how many times you have held onto a bottle of wine or champagne from a special event or just kept one that had amazing artwork on it, well now you can turn them into cool functional statement pieces!
7. A Bright Idea with Upcycled Tin Cans - Think of all the tin cans you have recycled in your life, now think about how expensive pedestal candle holders can be. With this project from Frugal Interior Design you could get the kids involved, make holiday gift sets, and play around with funky design elements so easily!
8. Picture Perfect Window Love - I adore old windows and if you do too, the project I found on Cottage Instincts is super simple! The chipping white paint, old glass, and the lines of vintage windows are the perfect way to display family portraits with an added country inspired flare!
9. Fork and Spoon Wall Hooks - Saw this idea on Rugs & Blinds blog and thought how cool! This funky and peace loving application is hip and modern, but you could also do something similar using beautiful antique silverware. Plus, finding incomplete silver sets for cheap is typically not too hard.
10. Headboard Door - On Mother Nature Network they have a couple of great ideas on how to use recycled old doors. I love the idea of turning one into a substantial looking headboards with just some screws, paint and a piece of trim!